Arun Ramappa, MD
Chief Team Physician, 617-667-3940
Specializes in Sports Injuries
Dr. Arun Ramappa is an orthopedic surgeon and Chief of Sports
Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical
Center (BIDMC) who specializes in sports injuries and disorders of
the knee, shoulder, and elbow. He evaluates and treats all sports
injuries as well as disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow, and
He commonly cares for:
- ACL Tears
- Meniscal Tears
- Cartilage Injury
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder Instability
- Labral Tears
- Tendon Ruptures
He has offices at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and Lexington.
Education and Training
He is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Medical School
and performed his surgical internship at the Massachusetts General
Hospital. He completed his training at the Harvard Combined
Orthopedics Residency Program.
Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Ramappa was selected as Chief Resident in Orthopedics Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
He won the Edwin Cave Traveling Fellowship where he received advanced training in shoulder surgery from world leaders in Switzerland and France including Drs. Christian Gerber, Gilles Walch, and Laurent LaFosse.
Once back in the United States, Ramappa completed his third fellowship at the world renowned Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado. Under the guidance of Drs. Steadman and Hawkins, Ramappa gained expertise in a variety of sporting injuries - especially skiing and snowboarding injuries.
Professional Appointments and Affiliations
- Attending Orthopedics Surgeon and Chief of Sports Medicine at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Team Physician Boston Red Sox
- Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Certified by the American Board of Orthopedics Surgery
- Director of the Sports Medicine Core Curriculum of the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency
- Director of the Sports Medicine Residency Rotation at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Active member of the American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine and the Arthroscopy Association of North America
Research Focus and Award
Dr. Ramappa's research focus includes pitching injuries, ACL tears, and rotator cuff disorders. He has extensive research experience and has earned the prestigious Excellence in Research Award from the American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine.
He has presented at numerous national and international meetings. His scientific articles have been published in journals such as the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, the American Journal of Sports Medicine, the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, and the Journal of Arthroscopy. He has recently earned a grant from Major League Baseball to study throwing injuries.