BRIGHTON, Mass. – Coming off their first shutout of the season, Simmons soccer (1-4-0) fell to UMass-Boston (4-1-0), 4-0, in a mid-week non-conference match, Wednesday evening.
The two squads came out and battled one another to a scoreless tie throughout the entire first half. Sophomore Marita Nothacker fended off eight shots on net through the first 45 minutes to keep the Sharks in the contest.
It wasn't until nine minutes into the second half, that UMass Boston broke up the stalemate. Lindsay Bouscaren flicked the ball into the lower left quadrant, off a nearside pass from Mary Jo Murphy to put the Beacons on the scoreboard. The same tandem of Murphy and Bouscaren scored the Beacons second and third goals, Murphy finding the back of the net in the 59th and 62nd minutes. Kaylee Haynes scored the fourth and final UMass goal in 66th minute.
Junior captain Izabella Warren led the Shark offense registering six shots, while Nothacker posting 15 saves in the game.
- Marita Nothacker registered 13 saves in the contest, including eight in the first half.
- The Shark defense was solid throughout the first half, holding a potent Beacon offense off the scoreboard.
- Junior Izabella Warren led the offense with three shots.
- UMass Boston had the edge on corner kicks 8-3.
- The Beacons maintained possession 65% of the time compared to the Sharks 35%.
Simmons returns to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 18th when they return to conference play, traveling to Colby-Sawyer College. Kickoff's at 1 p.m.