Tennis Falls to MIT in NCAA First Round
BRUNSWICK, Maine - Simmons Tennis fell to MIT in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament as the Engineers swept doubles play en route to a 5-0 win Friday afternoon at Bowdoin College.
MIT quickly gained two doubles points as the #3 pair of Michelle Dutt and Sunnie Lampl dispatched Simmons' team of Maddie Theoharidis/Casey Gilman 8-0. The #2 duo of Candace Wu/Victoria Tam followed shortly with a 8-1 victory over Caroline Khoury and Rachael Downey. The #1 doubles match between MIT's Julia Hsu/Lauren Quisenberry and Simmons' Meghan Cokely/Mararet Teague was easily the most competitive of the afternoon, but the Engineers were able to rally from an early deficit to take an eventual 8-6 win, taking a 3-0 advantage heading into singles play.
MIT posted two straight-set singles wins at #3 from Wu (6-0, 6-0) and at #6 from Alana Peters (6-0, 6-0) to clinch the match.
MIT 5, Simmons 0
1. Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) vs. Margaret Teague (SIM) 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
2. Vynnie Kong (MIT) vs. Meghan Cokely (SIM) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
3. Candace Wu (MIT) def. Rachael Downey (SIM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Michelle Dutt (MIT) vs. Caroline Khoury (SIM) 6-3, unfinished
5. Meghana Vasireddy (MIT) vs. Katie Crowley (SIM) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Alana Peters (MIT) def. Rachel Sweeney (SIM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Julia Hsu/Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) def. Meghan Cokely/Margaret Teague (SIM) 8-6
2. Candace Wu/Victoria Tam (MIT) def. Caroline Khoury/Rachael Downey (SIM) 8-1
3. Michelle Dutt/Sunnie Lampl (MIT) def. Maddie Theoharidis/Casey Gilman (SIM) 8-0