BOSTON – First-year Sydney Gonyea registered a natural hat-trick of her collegiate career to lead Simmons field hockey to a 4-1 victory over Clark University Wednesday afternoon at Daly Field.
The Sharks scored once in the first half and three times in the second en route to the non-conference victory.
Simmons 4, Clark 1
Sept. 1, 2021
Brighton, Mass. | Daly Field
Field Hockey Field
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gonyea broke up a scoreless battle with the Cougars in second quarter, finding the back of the goal on a pass from Anna Tedeschi to put the Sharks on top 1-0.
- In the third quarter, Gonyea added to Simmons lead in the 41st minute, Cameron Jester assisted.
- Clark avoided the shut-out and cut the lead in half 54 seconds later following a goal by Greer McCarty, closing the Shark lead to 2-1.
- Gonyea provided insurance for the Sharks, tallying her third straight goal three minutes into the final quarter before connecting with Cameron Jester in the 57th minutes for the fourth Sharks goal.
- Simmons out-shout Clark, 14-4 and had the edge on corners, 7-2.
- Simmons goalie Emma Sheehan only faced on shot on goal all game in the second quarter to earn her first win of her collegiate career.
- Simmons travels to North Dartmouth, Mass. on Saturday Sept. 4 for a 1 p.m. tilt with the Corsairs.
- Simmons 1-0
- Clark 0-1