BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Simmons soccer team (0-2) dropped a tough non-conference match to nearby Lesley University (3-0) on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sharks held the defending New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) champions off the scoreboard for the majority of the first half in a tight physical battle.
- Lesley broke the scoreless tie with under two minutes remaining in the first half. Izzy O'Hagan sneaked the ball past Simmons goalkeeper Marita Nothacker in 43rd minute on a pass from Kerrie Larson.
- 65' | Lesley's Courtney McCluskey added an insurance goal for the Lynx to increase their lead to 2-0.
- Four minutes later, Abby Kalou found the back of the net for the third Lesley goal of the game.
- 76' | Gabby Lara connected with Sienna Stueland to sneak the final Lynx tally.
- Marita Nothacker was solid in net registering nine saves.
- Riley Wasiuk played physical defense for the Sharks from the opening kick and continued throughout the remainder of the 90 minute contest.
- It was just Simmons third loss to Lesley dating back to the 1998 season. The Sharks are 2-3-2 against the Lynx.
- Lesley outshot Simmons, 22-3 and was 4-1 on corner kicks.
The Sharks return to the pitch on Wednesday, Sept. 8 on the road at Curry. Kick off is a 7 p.m.