BRIGHTON, Mass. – Simmons tennis improved to 1-1 on the season following a 7-2 victory over Curry College at Daly Field, Monday afternoon. The Sharks move to 3-0 all-time against the Colonels.
The Sharks swept doubles, lead by first doubles tandem junior Leah Bonis and sophomore Olga Zhizhin. The veteran duo edged Curry's first doubles team of Sasha Borken and Serena Wilson, by a score of 8-6 before taking second and third doubles by forfeit.
In the singles portion of the afternoon, first-year Avery Halloran blanked the Colonels' Cayla Oronski in third doubles, 6-0, 6-0. Junior Sam Margolin made Wilson work for her two-set win, before falling 6-2, 6-2.
Simmons won fourth, fifth and sixth singles by forfeit to cruise to the victory.
- First-year Avery Halloran earned her first singles victory of her collegiate career after shutting out, Curry's Cayla Oronski, 6-0, 6-0.
- Junior Leah Bonis and sophomore Olga Zhizhin earned their first victory as partners of 2021 with a first doubles victory over Sasha Boren and Serena Wilson.
- The Shars improve to 3-0 against the Colonels all-time.
Simmons returns to the hard courts on Wednesday, Sept. 8 when they host non-conference Salem State at 4 p.m.
- Sasha Boren (Curry) def. Sarah Mariski (Simmons), 6-2, 6-0
- Serena Wilson (Curry) def. Sam Margolin (Simmons), 6-2, 6-2
- Avery Halloran (Simmons) def. Cayla Oronsi (Curry), 6-0, 6-0
- Megan McKeever (Simmons) won by forfeit.
- Leila Spires (Simmons) won by forfeit.
- Sara Fucillo (Simmons) won by forfeit.