BRIGHTON, Mass. – Simmons tennis improved to 2-1 on the season defeating non-conference foe Salem State University, 6-3, Wednesday afternoon.
The Sharks came out of the gate strong taking doubles, 2-1. Second doubles duo Megan McKeever and Sarah Mariski made quick work of the Vikiings' Daphne Pineda and Sam Tenney with an 8-1 win. Salem State's Miah Reyes and Abbie Laliberte made Simmon's third doubles tandem, Avery Halloran and Libby Weed work hard to give the Sharks doubles point, but Halloran and Weed were able to edge out the 8-4 victory.
In the singles portion of the competition, the Vikings took first and second singles, but the rest of singles matches belonged to the Sharks. Halloran claimed her second straight singles victory knocking off Cassie Liu in two sets (6-0, 6-1) in sixth singles, while Weed took fourth singles, 6-2, 6-0 from Tenney.
McKeever was leading fifth singles against Reyes following a 6-1 first set win before Reyes was forced to retire due to injury. In third singles, Mariski battled Pineda to a two-set, 6-1, 6-1 win.
- In the first meeting between the two programs, Simmons hold the 1-0 advantage.
- First-year Avery Halloran earned her second career singles victory and is currently 2-0 on the season.
- Halloran and Libby Weed won third doubles, 8-4 to improve to 3-0 as doubles partners.
Simmons opens up GNAC action on Sept. 11 when they travel to New Haven, Connecticut to face Albertus Magnus at 1 p.m.
Simmons 6, Salem State 3
Simmons 2, Salem State 1
1. Alexandria Floyd / Anastasia Startseva (Salem St.) def. Olga Zhizhin / Leah Bonis (Simmons), 8-1
2. Megan McKeever / Sarah Mariski (Simmons) def. Daphne Pineda / Sam Tenney (Salem St.), 8-1
3. Avery Halloran / Libby Weed (Simmons) def. Miah Reyes / Abbie Laliberte (Salem St.), 8-4
Simmons 4, Salem State 2
1. Anastasia Startseva (Salem St.) def. Olga Zhizhin (Simmons), 6-1, 6-0
2. Alexandria Floyd (Salem St.) def. Leah Bonis (Simmons), 6-4, 6-2
3. Sarah Mariski (Simmons) def. Daphne Pineda (Salem St.), 6-1, 6-1
4. Libby Weed (Simmons) def. Sam Tenney (Salem St.), 6-2, 6-0
5. Megan McKeever (Simmons) def. Miah Reyes (Salem St.), 6-1, retired due to injury
6. Avery Halloran (Simmons) def. Cassie Liu (Salem St.), 6-0, 6-1